A Son of Xenon - Space Quest prequel - full length game

Started by Leisure Suit Harry, Thu 25/08/2022 21:27:22

« previous - next »

Leisure Suit Harry

Remember the star generator from Sierra’s “Space Quest I”?

In this vintage stylish prequel (look and feel of Space Quest III), naive engineer not-yet-janitor Roger Wilco learns why the sun of Xenon had to die in the first place.
Download this free full length classic adventure game (80 pictures) and travel to strange new planets, puzzle your way through parallel worlds, and discover new species from across the galaxy, all of whom want to kill you. And they WILL kill you!

Think you’ve already played this game back in 2020? You have NOT! That was just a draft of the first act to see if people from Terra III were looking for another Roger Wilco adventure. Turns out they were.

So, curtain up for your hero, Roger Wilco, a true “Son of Xenon”.

Yours Boston McShew (aka Leisure Suit Harry)

CaptainD

This looks fantastic! Bigs congrats to you and the team on the release  ;-D

milkanannan

This looks amazing! Am I blind or is the download link missing?

cat

Looking great!

*puttingonmoderatorhat* I understand that this version of the game is hugely different (bigger) than the original version of 2020. In this case, please create a new database entry for this version. The ratings and comments on the game page all refer to the old version and it would be misleading to players who come across that database entry. While it is encouraged to add small updates and fixes to an existing entry, huge changes should result in a new entry. In case you don't want people to still download or play your old game version, you could simply change the title of the old entry to "A Son of Xenon - old version" or something and link to the new entry in the description of the entry.

In case you can't remember what your old entry was like, here is the page in the internet archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20210208191640/https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2436/

Another benefit of creating a new entry is that your game will be eligible for the next AGS awards  ;)

Wiggy

Congrats on the release. I echo the sentiments of Heltonjon and Cat. This game rocks! It needs to be added to the database as a separate entity so that on the "games" page it appears under "most recent games" and is therefore more visible thus more downloads, more happy players, more votes for the best game of 2022 - form a queue behind me voters. Roger is baaack!!!

SarahLiz

js

I've tried it, and found it funny to play. It's not bland and generic jokes , but rather ironical dialogs and situations. There is an atmosphere.

The graphics are ok for the moment. I don't have have seen many because i died quickly without saving. I'm too lazy to restart all for now.

So my pro-tip is : save often because it seems you die often (the death was deserved btw, never touch all you see in this kind of old-school game).

Anyway i will restart because it's a good game.

heltenjon

Quote from: js on Sat 27/08/2022 14:05:30
The graphics are ok for the moment. I don't have have seen many because i died quickly without saving. I'm too lazy to restart all for now.

So my pro-tip is : save often because it seems you die often (the death was deserved btw, never touch all you see in this kind of old-school game).
Yep. Save often! There are some puzzles later on you probably will have to solve through trial and error, dying a lot in the process. There are lots of cool death animations and messages.

Wiggy

Ways in which Roger can die in"Son of Xenon"

Keeping up with current events
Spoiler
touch the UPS
[close]
Give until it hurts
Spoiler
walk on the cracked tile
[close]
A breathtaking experience
Spoiler
use the fire alarm
[close]
The wrong side of the bed
Spoiler
crushed by your own bed
[close]
Thanks a pantload Isaac
Spoiler
walk out of the Lizard Lounge
[close]
Dead drunk
Spoiler
drink undiluted alcohol
[close]
Right, not that one
Spoiler
open the wrong gas cylinder
[close]
A big bang
Spoiler
take too long to ignite the gas
[close]
Guess who's worm food
Spoiler
get eaten by a grell
[close]
The needle and the damage done
Spoiler
shot by a Keronian sniper cactus
[close]
Just deserts
Spoiler
die of thirst
[close]
A missed connection
Spoiler
don't catch the drone
[close]
Under pressure
Spoiler
drown in the ocean
[close]
Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust
Spoiler
Get atomized by Lt. Brakk
[close]
A frosty reception
Spoiler
get killed by Pearl
[close]
Life comes at you fast
Spoiler
don't reach the escape pod in time
[close]

Leisure Suit Harry

You missed two ways to die, Wiggy  :smiley:

Spoiler
1: in the apartment (broken vacuum)
2: space lab tube (fan)
[close]

The Last To Know

I recently finished your game and it was really fantastic. You captured the vibe of those old Sierra Adventures, including cool EGA graphics and random stupid deaths.  :grin:
The puzzles were nice too, maybe a bit too logical in comparison with the original games.  :wink:
It was fun to play! Thank you for this.

newwaveburritos

This is great excellent job getting it up there and out there!  I just love the EGA graphics.  They're tops!!

AnaMoon

I got stuck a couple times but it was a lot of fun. This game is brilliant, congrats! My playthrough:

Spoiler

agentbauer

Finished your game yesterday, excellent job. Looks really like an old Sierra Adventure, and the random stupid deaths are wonderful.
I got stuck a couple times, but thats normal, finished it without a walkthrough, by the way.

So, when comes the next part?
Roger Wilco Rules
NEW HOMEPAGE: http://spacequestiv5.pytalhost.at
Space Quest IV.5 Version 3.00 is finally done, check it out:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=40735.msg538357;boardseen#new

heltenjon

Just to be clear, will this game be eligible for the AGS Awards as it is, or does the author have to make a new entry in the database to get the correct "time stamp" in order to be so?

Leisure Suit Harry

Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 07/09/2022 08:46:15
Just to be clear, will this game be eligible for the AGS Awards as it is, or does the author have to make a new entry in the database to get the correct "time stamp" in order to be so?
Finally made a new entry in the database  ;)

Shadow1000

I finished playing Son of Xenon last night and I absolutely LOVED every minute. I don't remember the last time we AGSers were treated to a good full length game.

- Graphics, sound, animation, music, all top notch in capturing that 90s gaming experience.
- Good story that progresses nicely as the game unfolds. I like how the story is "chapterized" with specific characters and tasks in each "chapter".
- I don't usually like games where you die frequently, but it actually worked well in this game, and the smart-a$$ caption on the "you are dead" screen captures that 90s Sierra feel.
- And now for the strongest point: PUZZLES. I love how the puzzles are complex and not obvious, but with just the right combination of logic, intuition and trial and error (ok and some pixel hunting at times), they are ALL solvable and exactly at that perfect difficulty level. I won't say more but the approach in the last chapter was AWESOME.

In all, the game must have been a huge time investment over years and the effort really shows.

Big congratulations.

faustmonkey

Thanks so much for your kind words, shadow1000! We both worked really hard on it, so it means a lot to get feedback like that. I was especially proud of the last chapter, so thanks for calling that out!

sthomannch

I found finally some time to play this game. Fantastic!
- I appreciated the riddles, it took me quite some time for solving some of them, but they were all logical
- Good humor, so I had of course to try to die in several ways just to see the funny texts, well done
- Good graphics, it shows that even with AGI resolution you can create appealing games - I love this style that allows to fill out the landscape with your fantasy
- The style is consistent throughout the game
- I liked the twist of changing the dimensions
- The game is immersive
- I appreciated that the "arcades" were not corrupting the flow of the history (you know, when you have to train for hours to get through a mini game, it spoils the experience, but here it was just right)
Jury says 10 out of 10

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk