METRO CITY : Night Shift

Started by Rik_Vargard, Mon 07/02/2022 16:22:29

« previous - next »

Rik_Vargard

In the future, Humankind has terraformed and colonized many planets...and is continuing to explore up to the far reaches of the galaxy.

[Enter Name] has grown up in the orphanage of Metro City, capital of planet Antoryos, and thus has been given a role to participate in society by becoming a police officer.
with police academy friend Darcy they choose to patrol at night because of the ambient created by the lights of the city.

Progress
This project is in it's very early stages (like Alpha 0.1) at this point as I'm still learning AGS and BLENDER but things are moving forward at their own pace.

My "stronger" skills : Story - Visuals - Audio ambient
My "weaker" skills (still learning) : Coding - Puzzle creation (I could need some inspiration for that when the time comes)

After some weeks wandering around in AGS and BLENDER I can say I'm excited to work on this project  :)

I really want to thank all the people that helped me so far on the AGS forums. Thanks to you I now know this modest dream of mine can become reality one day!

GAME CREDITS: (as for now)
Spoiler

MUSIC
Synthwave Game Boy by Infraction
80s Synthwave by MOKKA
Electronic by Artur Andreevich
Apollo by MOKKA
Arpy by Dan Henig

3D Models
Rik Vargard
Austin Beaulier
Nours
3DHaupt
Lee Alex Johansson
triplestriker25
Peter Primini
aitortilla01
antoniojmonteiro
tl0615
Gordon Zuchhold
Callum McMorran
Ilona Khovan
Georgia.Perry

BIG THANKS
Crimson Wizard
eriOo
arjOn
Khris
newwaveburritos
heltenjon
Stupot
Ponch
Cassiebsg
Mandle
Slasher
BarbWire
RetroLee
Cassiebsg
Matti
[close]

heltenjon

This looks really cool!  (nod) You've really got the Neon Jungle down. Best of luck with the project!

Rik_Vargard

Quote from: heltenjon on Mon 07/02/2022 16:47:51
This looks really cool!  (nod) You've really got the Neon Jungle down. Best of luck with the project!
Hey thank you very much, heltenjon! :)

I've been told that there was a problem in some cases where my images don't show.
So I uploaded them again, this time on Imgur (thanks eriOo).
I hope evrything is working fine now.

Let me know if there's still a problem!

Cheers

eri0o

Thank you! I was very curious about how the game looked like after you mentioned blender, but the images were not loading for me before.  (wtf)

Now I can see it! It looks gorgeous, very neon! Love it! I am curious how the game works in motion. 8-)

CaptainD

Loving those visuals!  ;-D

Rik_Vargard

Thanks for the comments guys! It's so motivating :)

newwaveburritos

Oh, hey, thanks!  And, yes, I agree this looks great.  I really dig the nightlife neon vibe.

heltenjon

Quote from: Rik_Vargard on Mon 07/02/2022 16:22:29

My "weaker" skills (still learning) : Coding - Puzzle creation (I could need some inspiration for that when the time comes)

My general advice concerning puzzle creation would be to keep it in mind when you are creating your story. Ask yourself what problems would be natural for your protagonist to meet in your story and try to integrate the puzzles instead of putting them in at a later stage. Also, try to present the problem before the solution...it's okay to look for a key to a door, but may break immersion if you have the key and know that you now need to find a locked door.  ;)

Rik_Vargard

Quote from: newwaveburritos on Wed 09/02/2022 21:30:56
Oh, hey, thanks!  And, yes, I agree this looks great.  I really dig the nightlife neon vibe.
Hey thanks a lot for your comment :)

Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 09/02/2022 22:49:05
Quote from: Rik_Vargard on Mon 07/02/2022 16:22:29

My general advice concerning puzzle creation would be to keep it in mind when you are creating your story. Ask yourself what problems would be natural for your protagonist to meet in your story and try to integrate the puzzles instead of putting them in at a later stage. Also, try to present the problem before the solution...it's okay to look for a key to a door, but may break immersion if you have the key and know that you now need to find a locked door.  ;)

Yeah, I see what you mean there, I also played other people's games to learn. I've played 12 so far and there are very different approaches.
Thank you very much for the advice :)

heltenjon

Quote from: Rik_Vargard on Thu 10/02/2022 16:01:39
Yeah, I see what you mean there, I also played other people's games to learn. I've played 12 so far and there are very different approaches.
Playing other people's games is a great way to learn!  (nod) And if you thought out a great solution to a problem that turned out not to be the correct approach, then you already have an idea for something you can use yourself.  ;)

Rik_Vargard

Quote from: heltenjon on Thu 10/02/2022 16:58:17
Playing other people's games is a great way to learn!  (nod) And if you thought out a great solution to a problem that turned out not to be the correct approach, then you already have an idea for something you can use yourself.  ;)

Yeah, what's always fascinating to me in the creative world, like since the beginning of Time, is how people can inspire each other :)

Stranga

This looks great! Love the cyberpunk theme you got going on here, the 3D voxel art really makes this unique. I'm curious, did you take say a "Donkey Kong Country" approach? (3D Models converted into sprite work?) If so, I've always wanted to try this in a future game, it looks stunning!

Rik_Vargard

Quote from: Stranga on Mon 14/02/2022 05:32:39
This looks great! Love the cyberpunk theme you got going on here, the 3D voxel art really makes this unique. I'm curious, did you take say a "Donkey Kong Country" approach? (3D Models converted into sprite work?) If so, I've always wanted to try this in a future game, it looks stunning!

Ow thank you very much for your motivating comment  :)

I had to look for "Donkey Kong Country" and so, technically yeah, I "voxelized" and reworked some free 3d models, others I made from scratch.  (nod)

Rik_Vargard

CHAPTER 1 update:

Hello everyone!

I'm at this point where I'm asking myself how I'm doing so far  :P
Technically the first part should be finished.

If you are willing and have some time, I'd be honored if you could take a look at it.

DOWNLOAD HERE > https://www.mediafire.com/file/m6taowbxdgggswo/Metro_City_Night_Shift.zip/file

Note: When you arrive at "Chapter 2", nothing really happens after that, but you can now take the AutoCab to visit Sector 2... where nothing happens yet  :P

And then there's this question :

From what I've seen from the released games I'm hesitating between releasing each part as a game or releasing the whole game once finished.
What are your thought about that?

Also, here are some new screenshots :

Any comments, thought etc. are very welcome!

Thanks a lot!

chip

hello

i was wondering is ags supporting 3d now :confused:

havent played to the end, but i like the 3d look, also the transistion from gameplay to rendered video was nice and the gui is fine imo

it feels a bit static, maybe add some animated stuff to the gameplay, and some ambience sounds

Rik_Vargard

Quote from: chip on Mon 25/07/2022 20:01:23
hello

i was wondering is ags supporting 3d now :confused:

havent played to the end, but i like the 3d look, also the transistion from gameplay to rendered video was nice and the gui is fine imo

it feels a bit static, maybe add some animated stuff to the gameplay, and some ambience sounds

Hey, thank you very much for your feedback. Much appreciated!  (nod)

Stupot

This is looking great. I’ll try and have a play of chapter one tomorrow, if I can carve out a bit of time.

lorenzo

This looks cool, like a modern version of pixels! ;) Nice lighting effects too.
Can't wait to see [Enter Name]'s adventures!

Rik_Vargard

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 28/07/2022 10:17:49
This is looking great. I’ll try and have a play of chapter one tomorrow, if I can carve out a bit of time.

Thank you! (nod) If you have any comment or suggestion don't hesitate.

Quote from: lorenzo on Thu 28/07/2022 13:56:51
This looks cool, like a modern version of pixels! ;) Nice lighting effects too.
Can't wait to see [Enter Name]'s adventures!

Thanks a lot :)  Yes, Voxel Art is literally 3D Pixel Art  :P

Quote from: chip on Mon 25/07/2022 20:01:23

Thanks again for that comment, I started animating what I could with the background and objects etc,.. Most doors and elevators are now animated, added some stuff.
All looking better now already.
So much more work but worth it! (laugh)

Rik_Vargard

Ok, so lately I really wanted to find a way to create a big city without having to copy/paste all of the buildings all the time because it takes a lot of energy points from my computer. And me.
After a lot of tutorials (useful and not) I finally found that one tutorial using particles to create my city.
And then the learning curve, but I finally got it:

Thus, I got myself a new Intro Screen:

And also, I've been working a lot on bringing more life into some scenes, creating NPC animations and other animated stuff.
It's hard to take a screenshot from an animated scene, but here's one :

Cheers! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk