Run AGS Game 3.5.0 on Android tablet ?

Started by Baguettator, Fri 12/03/2021 11:11:54

« previous - next »

Baguettator

Hi all !

I'm sorry, I think this question has been asked a million times before me, but I get confused with all the threads I managed to find about, and they were old dated most of the time...

So I don't know if it is possible to make an AGS game working on a tablet (Android, or even MacOS "iPad" ?) ? And is there a guide to do that ?

I creates my game with AGS 3.5, so I don't know if something is working with that version.

Crimson Wizard

I keep forgetting to update the post with instructions (it's made by another person many years ago) and adding one to the manual.

But in brief it goes like this. There are two ways you can run on Android:

1. "Android Launcher" is a program provided with each recent AGS release. You find it under "For Android" spoiler in the release post. It lets you run any random AGS game on Android, if you upload compiled games by hand.
There are short instruction on using launcher here: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/master/Android/README.md#using-the-engine. You need only first 3 sections of that readme (the rest is for building the program from source code).
It sais that games must be placed on the external storing device, in the "ags" directory. Each game needs its own subdirectory. The data file is automatically detected within the folder.
But I believe that most recent Launcher also lets you choose the destination path in the app menu.

2. Native libraries for Android (also provided with recent release) let you build individual APK for your game. The process is not yet automated. You will need Android Studio for that.
There was a Editor plugin made by monkey0506 in the past, and the instructions, with links to Android Studio projects, were written by eri0o:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=55681.0

Baguettator

Thanks Crimson Wizard! I prefer the Android Launcher's method :)

But does it mean that the Android Launcher has to be launched by the player ? Or I can create with it the game version for Android ?

Also, I don't know what is the "External storage device"...?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Baguettator on Fri 12/03/2021 18:16:47
But does it mean that the Android Launcher has to be launched by the player ? Or I can create with it the game version for Android ?

Android Launcher is a ready Android app, it works like a menu to run compiled games from the file system.

Quote from: Baguettator on Fri 12/03/2021 18:16:47
Also, I don't know what is the "External storage device"...?

Storage devices you plug to Android with a cable, like SSD.
But I think this is no longer necessary, I was able to run games uploaded right to Android from PC.

Baguettator

So if I understand well :

- the player installs Android Launcher

- he places my game at the right path location

- he launches the android launcher and with that he can play my game

Is it ok ?

I created my game with AGS 3.5.0.24 (it is that number that ags shows me when I click "help"). Which Android launcher do I need ?

Baguettator

Also : the android launcher must select the windows version of the game, or the "data" is the "data" compiled (when I compile my game, I have 3 folders: windows, linux and data).

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Baguettator on Fri 12/03/2021 18:56:17
So if I understand well :

- the player installs Android Launcher

- he places my game at the right path location

- he launches the android launcher and with that he can play my game

Is it ok ?

Correct. I did that exact same thing earlier today on my phone, and everything works as it should.

QuoteI created my game with AGS 3.5.0.24 (it is that number that ags shows me when I click "help"). Which Android launcher do I need ?

I'm guessing that would be the Android launcher that comes with Patch 2 (3.5.0.24)

Quote from: Baguettator on Fri 12/03/2021 19:25:23
Also : the android launcher must select the windows version of the game, or the "data" is the "data" compiled (when I compile my game, I have 3 folders: windows, linux and data).

Everything in your Compiled / Windows folder.

martag

Hello guys, I really need help with this.
I have the emulator installed on Android. I saved my game.exe on the phone. When I open the emulator I can see the name of my game appearing. When I try to open the game by clicking on it, an error message tells that "Error: unable to find game data files". I also added the acsetup.cfg, audio.vox, winsetup.exe.
I am stuck! Thanks in advance! Marta

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: martag on Thu 03/02/2022 22:19:50
Hello guys, I really need help with this.
I have the emulator installed on Android. I saved my game.exe on the phone. When I open the emulator I can see the name of my game appearing. When I try to open the game by clicking on it, an error message tells that "Error: unable to find game data files". I also added the acsetup.cfg, audio.vox, winsetup.exe.
I am stuck! Thanks in advance! Marta

Please tell, what version of emulator are you using, and what version of AGS the game was made with?

Also note, that you dont need to use "game.exe", if it's your game you may use raw game data from Compiled/Data. winsetup.exe is also not necessary, it's a Windows only setup program.

martag

Thank you for coming back to me so quickly!
Actually, I realized that the AGS player version was the wrong one, now it works!! Thanks a lot! I also found this new article about the android port, that's amazing https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=59751.msg636643211#msg636643211. Thanks

ziggy hale

is there an online tutorial on how to do this?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk